Oh look, I told a little lie. However, I don’t think its such a bad thing. So I said I didn’t have any time for projects (I don’t), but I managed to squeeze this one in. I’m sure you’ve seen those pillows/bags/tees on Pinterest where they have the outline of a state with a teeny heart right were you grew up. Well, my friend from Texas mentioned in passing that she liked them. So I found a tote back in AC Moore for $1.99 and made one. This is a crazy fast project and really cheap. The pictures aren’t great, but it better than nothing.
Here’s what you need.
- Plain canvas tote bag (Michael’s/AC Moore or other craft store)
- Sharpie Paint Pen, Black, oil based, medium tip
- Friendship bracelet string or other thin yarn
- Hot glue
Here’s what you’re gonna do:
- Print out the outline of the state as big as you can on an 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of paper.
- Flip the paper over and color the outline with a pencil (you can also use carbon paper, but watch the smudging).
- Flip the sheet back over and center it on your back, trace the outline. Once you remove the paper you should have a nice line to trace.
- Trace over the outline with the paint pen.
- Now you’re going to add the heart. The first time I did this I used a red paint pen. I was not happy with the results. For some reason the red bled through the fabric more and it just didn’t look neat.
So I crocheted a heart using an ‘F’ hook. (Pattern below). Once I was done I glued it on with some hot glue.
For the heart I followed this pattern from Salt for the Spirit using the friendship string and an ‘F’ hook with one modification. I did each stitch one down. So instead of triple crochet, I did double. Here are the steps:
- Magic Ring. Chain 3.
- Inside the ring make 2 double crochet, 3 half double crochet, chain 1, double crochet, chain 1, 2 half double crochet, 2 double crochet, chain 2.
- Pull the magic ring tight.
- Slip stitch to the center of the circle. Pull the thread through and tie off and then push the thread back through to the back of the heart.
After many tries. This gave me the perfect size heart.